Cute

Dog credited with alerting Chesterfield homeowner of garage fire

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A dog is being credited with alerting a Chesterfield homeowner that their garage was on fire early Wednesday morning. 

Firefighters were called to the blaze around 5 a.m. on Old Mesa Drive. Neighbors called the Chesterfield Fire Department after hearing an “explosion,” which fire officials say was from equipment in the garage. 

No injuries were reported, according to crews on scene, and the fire was marked under control in roughly two hours. 

Firefighters told 8News the homeowner was woken up by their dog to discover their detachable garage was filled with flames. A part of the garage’s roof was damaged, as well as a car and equipment in the garage. 

The cause of the fire was not immediately known. 

The Chesterfield Fire Department thanked neighbors for quickly alerting them, as crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading. 

Stay with 8News for updates on this developing story. 

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.